Mystcraft Writing Desk Competition:
The Writing Desk is key to interacting with Mystcraft, but since it was added about a year ago, it has simply borrowed the bookcase and crafting table textures. No longer. XCompWiz has decided to hold a modeling contest, where players can submit their own writing desk models and textures for possible inclusion in the mod. Your creation could end up a part of Mystcraft!
- Submissions run from now until the end of September.
- A submission must be made in its own topic in the correct forum section (here)
- Submissions must be in the standard Techne format (tcn) or in obj model format
- Submissions must include at least one texture for the model and a picture of that image on the model
- By submitting an entry you declare that you hold all rights to the models and textures submitted, and in submitting an entry you transfer rights to distribute and use those models and textures to XCompWiz. Exceptions are made for textures packaged with Minecraft or Mystcraft already.
- Content submitted must be appropriate, no violence, drugs, or sex, etc. It's a writing desk, this rule shouldn't even need to exist.
- Submissions can be denied for breaking any of the rules outlined above, as well as at an admin's discretion.
- XCompWiz and Veovis Muad'dib reserve the right to change these rules at any time for any reason.
- Judging will be primarily be done through a public poll system. Every entry must have a poll attached. The values of the pool must be:
- Low Interest
- Users may vote on as many entries as they like. User can change their votes later, but cannot vote more than once on a single entry.
- Final judging will be done by XCompWiz and the Mystcraft Testing Team.
- Models should have as few polygons as possible to convey the shape they want to convey. Remember this is Minecraft, simpler is better.
- Textures should be around the same pixel density as other models in Minecraft.
- The writing desk is a place to study, copy symbols from/to books, and write new worlds in books.
- Mystcraft has a rich source in the Myst series of games and books. Draw from this.
- Narayan words (The circular symbols Mystcraft uses as of 0.10.0.00) should not be a part of the writing desk, as it is important to gameplay that the symbols are unknown until discovered. D'ni symbols are fine, but are likely too detailed for Minecraft resolutions.
- The writing desk GUI is not likely to change to accommodate the new model and textures.
- Keep in mind that other mods have things like pipes and such that can connect to the desk. Consider how these will interact.
Above all, have fun with this! You are not limited to a single submission, so let your imagination run wild!